Friday, March 28, 2008

Neti pot fan

A few years ago a friend from work suggested that I try "nasal irrigation' for my allergies. Well, the whole idea seem icky to me and i put it out of mind immediately as something that would never happen.

Fast forward to 2008 when a series of sinus infections and multiple rounds of antibiotics had even my doctor suggesting nasal irrigation. I figured it was time to give it a try and looked around the 'net for suggestions on how to do it and attempted to find a 'non-icky' option. Turns out there is no 'non-icky' option. The neti pot works well though. I make up my own saline solution right in the pot, it looks like a small teapot, and then pour it through my sinus', when all the water is gone I blow my nose and all that was stuck inside the sinus cavity comes out. Then I repeat for the other side. The end result is the wonderful, wonderful, wonderful ability to actually breath in the midst of a cold!!!

I actually just went through a bad cold which lasted for more than a week and was able to avoid the use of antibiotics and go to work each day. This is almost unheard of for me, all my bad colds progress to sinus infections and the resulting pain and lack of energy from lack of oxygen have me home in bed suffering for at least a day or two. It was absolutly amazing to me to be able to almost breeze through the cold just by using the neti pot once, or on the worst days twice, a day that I would be able to breath without decongestants and sleep well, and go to work each day!! Wow!! I'm a convert for sure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment